Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A Week Under My Belt

Each day this past week I visited a clinic here in Lusaka and hung out with the midwives in the Labor Wards. It has been the best week so far - and it feels all warm and tingly to be doing that which I set out to do. My initial sense? The midwives here are overworked and under paid. They are passionate like midwives around the world about what they do. They are skillful and are hungry for more techniques to save lives and reduce morbidity. They LOVE oxytocin and active management. The only reason they are not using it is if there is not oxytocin available. In some of my interviews, which I expected to be a careful unpacking of attitudes and barriers, I have been getting answers like "I love it" and "It works." The interviews that I expected to last an hour are barely 15 minutes. One midwife actually said "Why do you keep asking me about the same thing?" Hmmm...

But not all is well in the clinics. Mothers are separated from their babies almost immediately and are asked to get up, clean themselves off, and wash their own linens about 10 minutes after delivery. The babies stay stacked on an empty bed, wrapped in a HUGE bundle of blankets and towels, waiting for their mother to nap and rest before they come together. There is very little attention paid to the post partum period. Women are discharged 6 hours after delivery. When I explained that in the US they stay for 2 days post partum there were gasps. "What do you do with them for two days??" Ah, America.

I will spend a few more days observing in Lusaka this week - and then will take off for a series of trips to observe further out. Thursday I'm leaving for the Eastern Province, bordering Malawi... then will return Tuesday to head South to Choma and Mumbwa... then North to Ndola. I have expanded my sites because a) why not? and b) a few days in one place seems like enough time to become acquainted with the culture and the practices of a place. So, 25 births later, I'm feeling like a researcher in Lusaka at last. Time is moving fast now and I just hope I can finish that which I set out to do.

Excerpts from 6/29/08 blog - Rosha Forman