Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Tradional Chinese Medicine - Sarah's thoughts

We did learn some about health preservation today, much of it having to do with balancing emotions, “harmonizing visceral and bowels” (which is related to balancing emotions, as imbalance of emotions can hurt the viscera), and maintaining a balanced diet (with the five tastes, instead of food groups or the food pyramid. The maintenance of balancing Qi and its flow throughout the body is vital to preserving health. Our lecturer explained that being calm, controlling breathing, and balancing emotions are vital to keeping Qi balanced. I love the concepts of Qi and Yin/Yang because they both maintain that balance is vital to a person’s life. I see this in my patients at home and I feel it in my own life.

Sarah Comeaux (TCM Journal March 13, 2009)
Photography by Rick Allen